Monday, October 1, 2012

Wednesday, September 26th.

Wednesday, September 26th: Todays miles = 19.8. Total PCT miles = 2,322.8. Miles remaining = 340.7.

I got a ride out of Packwood at about 10am from a man driving a BIG produce delivery truck. You never think semi's or other large trucks are going to stop and to be honest, even if they did I didn't know how comfortable I would feel about getting in. This truck was the first one to ever stop for me and it was not uncomfortable at all getting in. The driver had a lot of questions about the trail and after the 20 mile ride he dropped me off right at the trail head. My pack felt so heavy for the first 10 miles. I was hiking slowly and wasn't really enjoying myself... and then I entered Ranier National Forrest. By this time it was already dark but the moon was almost full. Mt. Ranier came into view with the glow of the moon just behind it. The smoke from the wildfire sat at the base of the mountain but peaking up through the smoke I could see the snow capped summit of the 14,000ft mountain! It stopped me in my tracks. Part of me was wishing it was daylight so I could have a better view but after being introduced to Mt. Ranier the way I was I wouldn't want it any other way. I hiked another 2 miles on the side of a cliff (in the dark) with the mountain in view the whole time. Everything from that point on was perfect. I got to my camp spot and no one else was there so I didn't have to worry about making noise. The temperature was perfect; just a bit chilly but completely comfortable. I could see the almost full moon between the trees of my camp spot. I didn't have any trouble setting up my tent (I usually have a hard time getting the stakes in the ground because its always so hard). My tent which usually seems so small felt like a mansion. My dinner cooked perfectly and it was the perfect amount. The elk were making thier call down in the valley and the sound carried up, putting me to sleep. I felt more at home there at that random spot in the mountains than I ever have. I slept well.

Nothing significantly special happened today, but in years to come when I look back on the Pacific Crest Trail tonight is one of those nights that will stand out. For that evening, my whole world was unmistakably beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment