Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 4th: Leaving Chester

Saturday,  August 4th: Todays miles = 18. Total PCT miles = 1,353. This morning I woke up in Chester in a room with Baboon, Flagman, and Scooter. I had spent the evening eating microwave food and watching the Olympics. The prospect of coffee in the morning was enough to get me out of bed. I left the motel around 9:30 or so and headed out to hopefully find a diner where I could sit and have a few cups of joe. I was standing on the sidewalk not knowing where the diner was when a lady in a mini van stopped next to me, rolled down her window, and said hello. I wasn't trying to hitch so I was confused at why she had stopped. She told me she was "Pipers mom", a trail angel that lives in Chester. She keeps coolers stocked with snacks, soda, and water by the trail head. She gives hikers rides to and from the trail, and because of the wild fire consolidating a lot of hikers was allowing people to camp on her lawn if they could not find a place to stay in town. She gave me her phone number in case I needed anything while in town and told me to call her if I could not find a ride back to the trail. She then pointed me in the direction of the diner! By the time I left the diner it was around 11am. I got a hitch within minutes from a man very familiar with the trail. He was not going in the direction of the trail but stopped anyway to take us there! People in the town of Chester mostly seem to know that there is a long trail that is close to their town. Its nice when the locals know why you look like a dirty, homeless, traveling, vagabond gipsy. Although, you don't get to enjoy as many entertaining stares.

The first 9 miles of the day went by quickly even with my stomach issues (perhaps too much town food) and the second 9 miles were just as easy. I made a mistake in resupplying and am carrying WAY too much food. Other than that the day went very smoothly.

Yesterday I called Osprey (pack company) and inquired about possibly getting my dream pack. I have wanted a specific pack since the AT but could never justify buying it because I had a fully functional pack, however, after just 5 minutes on the phone with Osprey I got them to agree to send me my dream pack to the Castella PO for FREE! If only I had called 3,500 miles ago....

Tonight I am camped in a no camping zone next to some pinic tables, a privy, and a water fascet. In the morning I am going to head into the resort of Drakesbad and get a free shower, laundry, and a natural spring fed hot pool to sit in. Just today I entered the Lessen Volcanic State Park where there are plenty of natural hot springs and ponds. The one pond I passed today was so hot the whole pond was boiling....actually boiling. There was also a Geyser that I hiked off trail to see. I don't believe I've ever had an opportunity to see a Geyser before. It was remarkable to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment