Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tuesday, August 21st

Tuesday, August 21st: Total PCT miles = 1,694.9.

I woke up this morning at 6am which is earlier than normal. I think it was the cafe being 150 feet away that did it. The smell of coffee got me packed up and ready mighty quickly.

I left Seiad Valley at around 10am and hit the trail to bust out some miles. My original plan was to hike all the way to the Oregon border tonight. The drive to see that sign was too strong and I wanted it tonight!  I also wanted to see it in the daylight which is why I ended up stopping just 4 miles short tonight. Tomorrow morning I get to stand at that sign and know that I have walked the distance of the giant state of California and then some! I do believe, and all the other hikers agree with me, that the sign marking the end of California and the beginning of Oregon is the biggest milestone on this trail. California is 1,698.9 miles long (trail miles) and to be done with that is going to be a huge relief!

While in town I decided to download an audio book to my phone and listen to it while hiking. I'm six hours into the book and boy did the miles fly by! I think it may become something I do on a regular basis. I've never listened to a book on tape before. For me there is something so wonderful about opening the pages of a book, curling up with a cup of tea, and reading until my eyes hurt. One thing that I really do miss while being on the trail is diving into a good story. Today, once I got over the fact that I was listening to the story instead of reading it, it actually became rather enjoyable. There are a few books on my reading list that I know I can't bring myself to listen to. I'll have to wait until after the trail when my whole body aches with the pain of hiking 2,664 miles and when I have no motivation to do anything but curl up in fuzzy blankets for weeks. (Before the restlessness begins again). The other books are fair game, though. I can bust through about one a day....so, any suggestions?

Tonight I am camped with Baboon, Chocolate Chipmunk, Indiana Toad, and Diesel. We are all falling asleep dreaming of the Oregon border!

No comments:

Post a Comment