Friday, August 17, 2012

Thursday, August 16th

Thursday, August 16th: Todays miles = 26.3. Total PCT miles = 1,597.5. As of this point right now where I am camped tonight I am exactly 101.4 miles from the Oregon border!! More than any milestone on this trail so far I have been looking forward to that moment. I didn't so much care about crossing mile 1,000 or even the halfway point. All I care about right now is getting out of California! 1,698.9 miles of California is enough for me to get the gist. On a map I have been the same actual distance from Oregon for the past 10 days. The trail, however, decided that we were getting to close to Oregon so it took a turn due West! Instead of hiking North towards Oregon I have been hiking West..toward the beach. I hate the beach.

Today was a decent day. I got a marathon done before I even had to bust out my head lamp. I'm slightly proud of this because I didn't get moving until later and the trail today was (except for 4 miles) all uphill. Seriously, all uphill! It was also some of the steepest climbs I have seen in weeks. Most nights at the end of the day my whole body is just tired. I feel like I have spent all my energy. My legs are usually indifferent, though. Whether I hike 10 or 26 miles my legs never seem to really hurt (except an occasional lingering stress fracture pain). Today because of the inclines my legs actually feel like they got a workout! It actually feels pleasurable knowing that because of my pain and work today my legs will be stronger tomorrow. While hiking up the last climb today when my legs were burning so badly I couldn't help but smile at it. I got a last kick of adrenaline and busted through the last 4 miles of the day to the camp spot. I finished strongly today and that always feels good.

Camped with Baboon and Zeffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment