Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday, August 31st

Friday, August 31st: Todays miles = 20. Total PCT miles 1,854.

Today was Crater Lake day! Before I even came out here on the trail I knew about Crater Lake. The National Park became the 6th national park in the country because of its raw beauty. The lake was formed by a volcano, Mt. Mazama that errupt 7,700 years ago. A lake now sits where this mountain once was. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the country at a depth of 2,148ft and extends 25 miles from one end to the other. It really is spectacular!

Navi, Baboon and I got up early to watch the sun rise over the rim of the crater this morning. All morning was just one view after the next. We walked along the rim of the crater all morning as the sun was continuing to rise. I can't begin to explain how beautiful it was.

I took my time hiking today. I knew that this spot was going to be one of the most amazing spots on the PCT and didn't want to rush through it. At one of the lookouts I stopped to play with a very friendly (and fat) chipmunk. All the tourists must feed him.

Tonight I'm camped with Baboon at the base of a climb. My legs were hurting by the end of the day today. I have enough food for the 160 miles to Bend OR so my pack is extreamly heavy. I also was carrying water for a supposed 27 mile waterless stretch. My pack has never been heavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment