Sunday, August 12, 2012

Saturday, August 11th: Mt. Shasta

Saturday, August 11th: PCT mile 1,506. Baboon and I got a ride from two trout fishermen to the town of Mt. Shasta. We were originally going to hitch into Castella to go to the post office but because it was already closed for the weekend we took a ride into Shasta instead. The men dropped us off at the health food store in town. Upon arriving I discovered that there were other hikers in town as well. They told us that the campground in Castella was decent and that it had showers. The fee was three dollars a person (no thru hiker EVER wants to pay for camping) but there were also showers at the camp so that made it worth it. I had decided that the campground would be the most logical place for me to stay for two nights to wait for the post office to open Monday morning.

After loitering at the health food store for a few hours I walked down to the other grocery store in town to resupply for the 100 mile stretch to Etna. Grocery shopping for trail food is always so stressful. While on trail while hiking you start imaging all the food your going to buy when in town next. You stomach is pretty much in a constant state of hunger/grumble while hiking so your mind is often on food. I always have a plan for my next resupply upon arriving in town. Executing said plan, however, always proves unsuccessful. I walk into the grocery store and am immediately distracted by icecream and soda. I make a good few laps around the entire store before I end up putting anything in my cart. There are always so many people bustling around in a hurry bumping into me and giving me disapproving looks. I instantly loose track of my resupply plan and end up getting the same foods as always (tortilla and cheese, Poptarts, Syneders pretzels, Frito Lays products, dried beans, nuts). I was standing outside the grocery store disappointed in my purchases when a very kind woman came up to me and inquired about my hike. Her name was Ranee. Ranee and I talked for a little while before she offered to have Baboon and I come to her house to shower, do laundry, and spend the night. She, her partner, and their son welcomed us dirty, smelly hikers in with open arms. Their kindness is unmatched. The five of us went out for dinner down the street from their home. I must mention just how beautiful their home was decorated. It was the first thing I noticed upon entering. Someone in that home has absolutely beautiful taste! Both women seem to live very active lifestyles and it was a pleasure talking with them and getting to know them a little. This is just one way that the trail ends up restoring your faith in the human character.

No comments:

Post a Comment