Friday, August 3, 2012

July 31st and August 1st

July 31st: Todays miles = 27.
Today was a longgggg day. I determined to do at least a marathon today and I would not stop until I did despite the fact that my stress fracture was on fire because of my dead shoes. About 5 miles before I was going to camp I saw a sign on the dirt road crossing that read "missing dogs. Two black labs missing in the mountains". I thought nothing of it until I was about 1/5 mile from the camp spot and a dog started barking. By this time it was completely dark except for the full moon. However, smoke from a wild fire was covering the sky limiting the amount of moonlight I was receiving. My immediate thought was that this dog must be one of the missing dogs. I called out in case someone was there and was pleasantly surprised when a lady began calling the dogs name to calm it down. I apologized for waking them up (as it was dark and late) and continued on to camp.

August 1st: It wasn't until this morning that I got a good look at the woman I had met the night before. She was in her mid 60s or so, had on a cat print sleeveless dress with a long sleeve pink turtleneck on underneath. She had flower print leggings on and a pink cloth scrunchy in her hair. Her dog, Patrofski, is 12 years old and seemed to be struggling with the whole walking thing. She was very kind, however, she was just a tad....well, she may have spent a little bit too much time alone in the woods. She, I guess is a resident trail lady. She goes around traveling up and down trails. I guess she no longer has her pack lama that she used to have. I'm sure it would have been even more fun to meet her then when she had.

Ended up in Quincy tonight. The wild fire I saw the night before spread, burning parts of the PCT and the surrounding  towns. Instead of going into Belden (because it was on fire) we came into Quincy to resupply.

No comments:

Post a Comment