Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday, August 6th: Subway cave.

Monday, August 6th: Todays miles = 24. Total PCT miles = 1,398. I only had to hike 4 miles today before I stumbled across a tiny mini mart camp store and a post office. I think I was more excited about the post office than I was the store. A few days ago I realized that I have been carrying around TWO broken ipods, a bag of glass beads, multiple hats, bug spray I never use, and a few other random things. I finally decided that I was going to send this stuff to Bend OR so that I don't have to carry it, especially through the 30 mile waterless stretch where I have to carry 5 liters of water. After I visited the post office I got some popcorn, soda, and icecream from the little store. In 4 more miles I took a side trail off the PCT to visit Subway cave. It is a cave formed long ago by molten lava that carved its way through the earth. The cave is about 1/3 of a mile long. You can actually walk through that whole distance, although, you need a light because there is not a drop of sunlight that far deep into the cave. The cave got its name because it literally looks like there should be a subway running through it. I took lunch here in the darkness of the cave amongst the bats. It was significantly cooler in there than on the surface. Despite the fact that I am out of the desert many people say that what I hiked today can often be the hottest section of trail. There is a ridge called the 'hats rim' that stretches for 30 miles in the exposed sun. There is also not a drop of water on the rim. Most hikers I know were planning on night hiking the whole thing. I on the other hand decided to take off for the rim at the hottest part of the day. I soaked up all the cool air I could from the cave, grabbed 5 liters of water and set out for the initial climb up. I lucked out! The forest fires had created a giant plume of smoke that worked as clouds and shaded the rim from the direct sunlight! Although, watching the forest burn down in the distance was not so pleasant.

The only real problem I had today was my back.  The weight of the extra water I needed to carry (11 pounds) really put stress on the pinched nerve. It reminded me of the AT. I was able to make it all but 12 miles through the waterless stretch so the hard part is over. Tomorrow morning I just have to bust out the miles to the water....and drink....drink....drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment