Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tuesday, August 7th

Tuesday, August 7th: Todays miles = 25. Total PCT miles = 1,423. Today was a good day. The morning started off rough for me because of my back. I took a small break after 6 miles to stretch it out and take the weight of my pack off of it. The little breaks during the day really seem to help. 2 miles after I took my break I came across a cooler with trail magic in it! There was a full cooler with soda and water...cold water!! Today was so hot that when I went to take a sip of my water I actually burned my lips. Having ice cold water was the best thing I could have ever asked for. 13 miles into the day I went off the trail just a tad to visit a fish hatchery and have my lunch there at a picnic bench in the shade. I laid down in the grass and took a little power nap, which I woke up more tired from. 4 miles after lunch there was another cooler with soda and water in it! We couldn't believe it. Two trail magic coolers in one day. On the AT that is quite normal in GA or NC but on the PCT its unheard of. The heat of today would have been absolutely miserable without those cold drinks. I took some pain meds, put on my music, and busted through the rest of the day arriving at a camp spot 1 mile from a camp store that opens tomorrow morning at 8am. There are showers there as well! In the morning I'm going to head over there and eat some ice cream for breakfast! This trail is kicking my ass. I've lost 15 pounds already despite my eating poptarts, candy bars, and ice cream breakfasts. After the camp store experience I'm going to take a little side trail to Burney Falls. Hopefully tomorrow will be as enjoyable as today.

Camped with Baboon, Pappa Smirf, Scooter, and The Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment