Saturday, August 11, 2012

Friday, August 10: Spider invasion!

Friday, August 10th: Todays miles = 23. Total PCT miles = 1,376. My plan for today was to wake up and be hiking by 6:00am. I woke up at 6:30. So needless to say I didn't get moving until well after 8.

Today was mostly ridge walking....mostly uphill except for the last part of the day. Today was a pretty standard day. Hike, eat, drink, hike, drink, hike, eat, and so on... There were a a few things in particular that were cool today. One being the view of Mt. Shasta I had most of the day. The other were the bats! While I was getting water from the river tonight at camp there was a handful of bats flying around. They were skimming the water for bugs. I just sat there sitting on a big rock in the middle of the river that I had jumped to and watched the bats for a while. They would get so close to me. If I put my hand in the water they would skim over my hand to see if it were food! It was a good way to end my day today.

The bad things about today: The mosquitoes, poison oak and the spiders! Once I got to camp I scoped around like I usually do before I set up my stuff for the night. I check for bugs, mole holes, red aunts, birds nests above me, and so on. All of theses factors determine whether I set up my tent or not, whether I set my fly up, and if I leave my shoes and pack outside my tent for the night (had a scorpion crawl out of a shoe once). I determined that my camp spot was decent enough to just set up the tent base without the fly. I also determined that my pack could handle a night without me and could chill out outside my tent. I determined wrong. I saw one spider...then two...five...ten...twenty....they kept crawling out of I don't know where. They were on me, in my food, in my pack, my food bag, crawling down my face. They were attacking my stuffed marmot with a vengeance. Everywhere I looked there were spiders. I tried to shake them off best I could. Eventually I sought refuge in my tent but they were in there too. I managed to get what I felt to be most of them out of my tent and I could finally lay my head down for the night.

Camped with Baboon and the Canadians (Snow White and Mr. C)

No comments:

Post a Comment