Friday, August 17, 2012

Wednesday, August 15th

Wednesday, August 15th: Todays miles = 25.6. Total PCT miles = 1,571.1. I woke up tired. I guess I can't say that I really woke up at all because you first need to be sleeping in order to wake up. My camp spot last night was fine. The ground was level-ish. The wind wasn't bad. It seemed relatively quite....until the screech birds came out!! I have no idea what kind of bird they are or what could possibly be their purpose of screeching like a banshee all night but thats exactly what they did. One even made sure to perch itself jest feet from my tent and scream all night long. Apparently everyone else are not light sleepers because they had no idea what I was talking about in the morning. I was camped a little away from the others and the bird was directly next to my tent but I would have thought someone else may have heard it. Either way, the three others woke up refreshed and ready to hike and all I wanted to do was lay back down and go to sleep (the birds had finally stopped with the daylight). Instead I pushed my tired legs to walk 25.6 miles. If the terrain hadn't been as calm as it was I don't think I would have made it here tonight.

The smoke from the fire was around again today but nothing compared to yesterday. Water was decent today as well. I hiked 17 miles before I took lunch today because I wanted to eat at a spring that I didn't have to treat. Turns out that the one water source today that wasn't a spring was that very one. All the others today were delicious, cold springs! I guess I cant complain when 4 times out of 5 today I got to drink fresh water flowing straight out of the side of a mountain. All in all today was another good day on the trail. If your lucky enough to be in the mountains, your lucky enough!

Camp spot for tonight is in a rocky meadows-ish patch tucked in just on the side of a ridge cliff. Camped with Baboon, Chocolate Chipmunk, and Indiana toad.

I can hear cows moving in the distance. Maybe I'll get to see my second ever cow stampede! Hopefully it wont be at 2 in the morning. I really need to sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment