Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday, August 20th

Monday, August 20th: Todays miles = 26.5. Total PCT miles = 1,662.

I, of course, did not get up early this morning but I did put in the miles! I was hiking by 8:30am. I can't say that today was overly difficult. The first 7 miles of the day were uphill but then the remaining miles were mostly down/bumpy.

The second I hit the trail this morning I noticed the mountain lion tracks on the trail. There were very clear tracks with two sets of baby mountain lion tracks just behind them. These tracks went on for miles. I wondered if they were trying to be the first mountain lion family to thru hike the PCT. These kitties were definitely the last ones to pass on the trail before me. I kept expecting to turn the corner and see them sitting on the trail taking a break. I unfortunately did not.

I was attacked by an entire swarm of wasps today! I apparently stepped on their hive and they were not too happy about it. The first sting took me by surprise. I wasn't exactly sure what bite me in the ass. Then one got me in the thigh. One in the arm..... countless stings. It wasn't as bad as my run in with them on the AT (28 stings) but it was up there in my most unpleasant interaction with wasps. I watched my steps ever so carefully for miles afterwards. I knew the odds of me trampling over another hive were low but I had become paranoid.

I rolled into Seiad Valley around 6pm! The tiny store was still open and I went in for soda and a klondike bar. Chocolate Chipmunk, Indiana Toad, and Diesel were all here when I got here. They were buying supplies to make burgers and have a cookout at the campground (RV park) next-door. Supplies included: meat, hamburger rolls, and beer. The RV park owner, Bruce, allows hikers to camp on the grass, use the showers, laundry, TV, DVD player (with a DVD selection), fridge, and lounge area for a small fee. We all spent the night hanging out under the picnic area. It felt good to crack open a cold one and enjoy my evening with good people after having put in a full day of hiking.

There is a small cafe next to the store that opens at 7am tomorrow morning. This cafe is home of the 5 pound pancake challenge. We are all meeting there in the morning to watch Diesel attempt the task of eating 5 pounds of pancakes in under 90 minutes. I think I'm just going to go with the two eggs, homefries, and toast....and coffee!!

The PCT in officially closed from this point North until Green Pass (wildfire). There is a walking detour straight up a road that reconnects with the PCT before the Oregon border. I have no choice but to take this road up the mountain. Tomorrow has the potential to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment